Saturday 3 January 2009

so near, yet so far

Last New Year's Eve I had so much fun counting down to a brand new year along the banks of River Thames and watching a spectacular 10 minute fireworks display fired from the London Eye.

Same time this year I curled up in my bed, under a duvet and layers of clothing to fight off an infection called FLU!

No cheers. No gathering in great crowds. No drunkenness. No talking to strangers.
Just me and my bed in a cold, cold room.

How long I slept I remember not, but as i opened my eyes I saw only darkness outside the window and the clock struck 5.
5 a.m. or 5 p.m.? I can't tell

Feeling heavy-headed and shivery, I groped for food.
Crunchy oat cereals. That was my first meal after a god knows how long sleep.
Bluek!
Not even managed to eat a handful of cereals.
I stuffed another handful and again, I threw all up.
Feebly, i crawled back to bed and slept it off.

It must have been an extended sleep as the second time I woke up, it was still pitch black outside and the clock showed 4.35. Only this time my head wasn't as heavy as before so I could shove myself to the fridge which was just 1 metre away from my bed.
I need FOOD!!I didn't feel hungry but my intuition urged me to eat.
Sighhh,,,what was in the fridge? Oranges, kiwis, lemons, apples and milk!!

Bluekkkk!!! Half of the apple i endeavoured to swallow was all out.

Gosh! What's wrong with me??I wanted so much to cry for help but my voice failed me.
Pretty sure that i wasn't alone in the flat. My flat mates were just a few metres away but my body was so frail that even walking a few steps might kill me. Worse still, i didn't have a phone. It felt as if i was all alone, completely isolated from the world; as if i was being left here to decease slowly. No one came by to check on me. No one! So much for living in a 145-resident hall..sigh!!

I can't help wondering how long it would take to discover my body if i died in the room.
One day? One week? Maybe when my body starts to rot and stink the whole place??
It was ironic that the first person to learn my condition was actually miles away but was the one sending help signals to my literally reachable friends in London for me.

A world without friends is a very lonely place, indeed!
Nonetheless, is it fair to say otherwise?


P.S. a big big hug for my life saviour aka my ex-roommie aka Pei Lian :):) You proved one thing "distance is no obstacle for saving lives"!!!!! *muaks*

No comments: