Thursday 20 November 2008

False alarm


Today my patient scared the hell out of me

i was meant to numb her teeth up before doing the extraction.
Nothing abnormal with her medical history except penicillin allergy
As soon as i gave the ID block, she started trembling, with her hands shaking uncontrollably followed by her mouth

"Is it normal to have this reaction after having the injection?" The patient looked apprehensive

Oh No! What have i done??

"Are u feeling nervous?" i tried to reassure her by putting my hand on hers

"No..not really...i mean i'm not afraid of needles or dentist usually...nothing can be as bad as childbirth really"

Okay, that wasn't what i wanted to hear. In fact, i started to feel adrenaline rushing through my body. ADRENALINE! That should be a clue to...erhmm...anaphalaxis?!?! Damn!


"Have you eaten since this morning?'' i tried to contemplate other possibilities ...i know i just did HHD last week so i should be able to handle medical emergency but seriously, this cant be happening..NOT NOW!

"No, i haven't had anything since this morning. You see, the pain is killing me. I know i should have eaten something b4 i came but i jz couldn't," i could see her lips quavering as she talked

I asked the nurse to get me some sugary drink. When the patient was sipping it i quickly flipped through the notes...no heart trouble, no hypertension, no liver problem, renal is fine....

"feeling anything funny, such as dizzy,itchy and nauseous?" i tried to squeeze the symptoms of anaphalaxis out of my head.

'No...should I?" She looked more concerned

Hell no!
Allright, there is only one sign so far which is tremor...could be hypoglycaemia but just in case....start with ABC, call 2222, oxygen, adrenaline...ermmm...chlorphenamine, hydrocortisone... what else? saline..then? C'mon, think harderrrrr, yin hui!!

"i think my lip is numb now..oh look, the shake has gone...funny, isn't it??" she looked at her hands, fascinated with the sudden cease of shiver.

#@@X%$#!&*x%$%#@@*#&!*%
That wasn't funny at all. I felt like bawling at her!


After i sent her off, the nurse came to me and went
"I think she was just anxious.''

What a false alarm! After all the thrills i had just put myself through, i began to feel limp.

Guess i need oxygen more than the patient



4 comments:

ashieBee said...

hehehe

if my own pt kene anaphylaxis shock, confirm i pun cuak!!!! :P luckily nothing happen. or else, it'll be a different story ey?

tomorrow your last day dkt dec :)) gonna miss it?

a*hui said...

I'm gonna miss it big time
DEC is fun!!! Different cases each day and all tx can be completed at one go!
Anyway, Dr. Pau is in charge of DEC tomoro...tak sukeeee :(

h3l3n said...

what a way to end dec.. lets wait and see how its gona turn out for us tomoro~

a*hui said...

haha..finally u updated ur blog

reading ur blog has become my daily routine so one day missed really makes a difference

i'm allowed to have a break from blogging but sorry to say that the same rule doesn't apply to you

blekkk