Monday 17 November 2008

Tricked? Almost!


It felt like first day back to school as i stepped into dental institute this morning


Fresh, yet familiar

A part of me was delighted coz i was going to do things i'm used to, just like a fish in water...no more HHD bizarreness except medical history

Another part of me was a bit uneasy about what to expect. Obviously pain is the main issue but patient might come in with a massive swelling on the face, fractured jaw, foul-smelling abscess, broken teeth, subluxed TMJ.. or anything that falls into the category of dental emergency.

Anyway my patient was a blonde lad, complaining of pain on his left jaw. The pain was so bad that even analgesic failed to work.
I looked at his teeth..hmm...heavily restored, some had fallen out, lots of calculus and nicotine stains...then moved on to the site causing problem..Aha, i saw a deep hole in the middle of second premolar!

Phewww...i can handle this. So, the next hour was spent on giving LA, rubber dam, drilling, extirpating the pulp, packing in some hypocal and cotton pellet and followed by sealing it with a temporary dressing.

My tutor couldn't be bothered to check my treatment so i just gave the patient some post-op instructions and sent him off. One patient, one treatment. A good warm-up for DEC week.

At lunchtime, i grabbed a coffee from Nucleus as usual b4 heading back to my room.

Out of the blue my phone rang. Private number.
I thought it was Karn, my clinical partner.

"Hello, can i speak to Yin?" an unfamiliar female voice with not-so-british accent

"Yes, speaking''

"Hi Yin, Congratulations! You've just won yourself The Best Starbucks Customer of The Year!" She shrieked

"Err..sorry, i dun mean to be rude.May i know who is calling?" i was baffled

"Oh, my name is Helen.I'm calling from Starbucks in New York. You have been chosen to be the best customer of Starbucks in the UK!"

"Erhmm...is this some kind of joke?" my head was full of question marks

"No, this is not a joke. This is an annual international prize awarded for customers who have shown immense loyalty to Starbucks......................."

"Hang on, this is really odd. How would you know my number?I've never given it to anyone in starbucks and heard of this strange award?!?!Sounds like a prank to me!" frowned

"This is real, Yin. I understand that you have a lot of questions and why you don't believe me. What about you take this ID down and go to the nearest starbucks to redeem your reward?"

"errr......." lost for words, trying to figure out who the heck it could be, cracking this lame joke

"Have you got a pen and paper? Your ID is wcu7893324......." She went on without waiting for my response

Suddenly something crossed my mind and i hung up the call right away.
Crap! How could i have not thought of that????
The lamest prankster of my group --> Mr B!!!!!!

hey you!! if you are reading this. you'd better watch out.
I'm gonna whip your head next time i see you!


8 comments:

h3l3n said...

somemore use my name.. u shud know only our groupmates call u YIN!!!

a*hui said...

haha...i guess the word 'STARBUCKS' must have dumbed me!!
Oh well, once bitten twice shy.
U better watch out for urself too..u might be the next victim!!

*evil laugh*

ashieBee said...

ha ha ha :))

when i saw zulfy's and mo's facial priceless facial expressions just now...kenot tahan already!!! gelak3.... poor u ahui! ade2 aje groupmates uuuuuuu *wink*

a*hui said...

haha..zulfy n mo sure kena tomoro!!
omg...their acting was flawless man! they shud go to drama school..sure graduate with first class honor
...cant believe that i actually almost...ALMOST fell for it at one point

*puff

h3l3n said...

i guess thats y they din wan me to join the prankster, my face surely betray me and i'll burst out laughing.. hehe

pls call me over, i want to watch them being kena-ed!

Anonymous said...

alright mate....im the blond guy that u treated on the emergency hospital..my heart has been pumping 5 times faster since the day that u treated my pain

i would very much like to come back again and u sort out the pain in my heart

dont worry about not winning your starbucks coffee i can buy u coffee next time i come back to emergency hospital..are you in tomorrow ?

a*hui said...

Damn it! Bryar!!

I just bought you a birthday present but now i reckon i should chuck it :P

h3l3n said...

i agree! lets have it for ourselves! haha